Monday, December 21, 2009

Roasted What?


I’m still trying to figure out what to make
for Christmas dinner.
I’ve been driving around scouting out the
roadways, but there’s nothing worth picking up.
Must have been a big sweep lately on
raccoons, possums, and squirrels…

People living in the ‘glades aren’t close
to any supermarkets.
I’ve seen men pull their jacked up trucks
over to the roadside, pick up and toss
the unfortunate critter onto the truck bed.
I think the wildlife are getting smarter:
Keeping deep in the cypress swamp lands.

Recently I witnessed an egret cross an
intersection on the green light, taking his time,
then scooted into the landscaping near my
frequented bookstore.

So now, scattered on the sofa, are several
Holiday magazines with tantalizing dishes like
Pecan Pork Loin, Roasted Orange-Glazed Game Hens.
Hmmm…
I sense the piggies are starting to bolt…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had heard that the it was going to be slim pickings down in Florida. I am sorry to hear that. I woundered why the FLorida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission was saying that the native alligator population was becoming more aggressive. Makes sense, since we now know that they are having to battle us humans for the delicacies offered us by the Road Kill Cafe...