Monday, June 8, 2009

A Mouthful...


Some people are adept at using slanguage or incorrect
grammar in their conversations.
Phrases like "Ya know what I'm saying...?" is commonly
reiterated and means nothing.

In 1996 in Oakland, California, there was an outcry over Ebonics.
Protesters felt it was an excuse for learning grammatically
correct English.

Students wanted this sociovernacular officially
recognized as a language in school studies.
Thank God Ebonics never made it to the school curriculum.
What would have happened if Shakespeare had penned
the phrase "Yo, Romeo! What up? Peep dis..."
It makes me cringe.

Expletives are part of our language, unfortunately.
The beauty of our language has been integrated with filth.
I credit its abundant use for lack of something substantial to say.
I've always had an affinity for words.
Words can color, describe, resonate.
Words can inspire and motivate.

I credit two wonderful English Comp teachers: Ann Singer who taught
at Canoga Park High School in California and Jean Wilkinson,
my professor at Pierce College in Woodland Hills, Ca.for furthering
my love of the English language.





No comments: